Dogs and acetaminophen

Have you noticed I seem to be stuck on a dog theme? I fill prescriptions for dogs at the pharmacy and recently it came to my attention that dogs should not take acetaminophen. This is the active ingredient in Tylenol.

I've had customers call me at the drug store and say their dog chewed on the prescription bottle and ate some of the medicine.

Here are some symptoms of an overdose of acetaminophen.

Trouble breathing.
Swollen face, neck or limbs.
Discolored gums --brown or gray

If you suspect your dog has overdosed on acetaminophen, take him to the vet immediately.

Often we know to keep medicine out of the reach of children, but let's don't forget our pets.